A cyclist’s got to eat! So does a hiker and hillwalker, skier and snowshoer. Food and drink are the fuels for those who get around by muscle power. After all, without fuel, the engine — that’s you, in case you’re in any doubt — you aren’t going to get very far. That’s why provisioning and eating well are important for active outdoorsfolk. Want to know more about cooking in camp, or do you need a recipe for energy bars and bonk busters, or are you uncertain how to purify wild water? Then you’ve come to the right place. Our archived articles linked below touch on these and many other related topics.
Stop back often. We’ll be adding more as time goes by. Want to know when we add something new? Then subscribe to our RSS feed. Think of it as a newsletter, if you like — minus the in‑box clutter, the ads, and the data mining. And if there’s something you’re looking for but can’t find, you can always reach us through our Contact page. Don’t be a stranger!
A Note to Readers Some links on this page will take you to articles archived on our sibling site, Back in the Same Boat. Can’t find an article you’re looking for? Let us know through the TNO Contact page.
Have a Drink
- Beating the Bonk! Recognition, Prevention, and Recovery
- No Sweat! Power Drinking and Eating Made Easy by Tamia Nelson, 20 January 2004
- A Sports Drink You Can Make at Home: Newt Nectar by Tamia Nelson, 13 August 2013
- Another DIY Recovery Drink: Can You Say Naturally Refreshing? by Tamia Nelson, 24 June 2014
- Choco-Java: A Quick Hot Drink for Cyclists Who Come in From the Cold by Tamia Nelson, 22 November 2011
- A DIY Recovery Drink: Can You Say Naturally Refreshing? by Tamia Nelson, 24 June 2014
Have a Snack
- Beating the Bonk With Hundred-Mile Bars by Tamia Nelson, 5 September 2009
- Hundred-Mile Plus Oatmeal Bars—Accept No Substitutes! by Tamia Nelson, 22 October 2011
- Tamia’s Takeaways: Walmart’s Tropical Trail Mix by Tamia Nelson, 29 January 2011
Have a Meal
- Wholesome Breakfast Pilaf in a Jar: It’s Fast Food My Way by Tamia Nelson, 10 May 2018
- Fast Food My Way: Stovetop Personal Pan Pizza by Tamia Nelson, 10 May 2018
- Fast Food My Way: Quick Roast Chicken for Dinner? YES! by Tamia Nelson, 2 April 2018
- Pronto Pasta and Peanut Sauce by Tamia Nelson, 7 September 2009
- Cold Day? Make a Pot of Soul-Warming Chili! by Tamia Nelson, 9 September 2017
- Fast Food My Way: Homemade Vegetable Soup in Less Time Than It Takes to Shovel the Drive by Tamia Nelson, 11 March 2018
- No-Cook Black Bean Wraps by Tamia Nelson, 27 August 2013
- Found Food: What Treasures Lie Waiting to Be Discovered in Your Fridge? by Tamia Nelson, 9 June 2012
- Make Breakfast Hot: Cook Up Magic Morning Mix by James Stone, 2 December 2009
A Bit of Everything
- The Fine Art of Foraging: Convenience Stores and the Hungry Cyclotourist by Tamia Nelson, 27 April 2013
- From Soup to Nuts to Soup Again—A Cornucopia of Seasonal Treats by Tamia Nelson, 24 November 2017
- Cyclists Rejoice! It’s Shaping Up to be a Great Spaghetti Harvest by Tamia Nelson, 1 April 2017
- A Cautionary Word About Jiffy Pop by Tamia Nelson, 1 November 2011
Comment? Questions? Send ’em here.